Buses and trucks drive through. Threats and contraband are stopped in their tracks.
Don’t let its compact design fool you: the Z Portal drive-through inspection system is designed to scan large trucks, buses, and cargo containers. Its Z Backscatter®, Forwardscatter®, and optional dual-energy X-ray technologies capture two images from each side and two images of the top—simultaneously—providing six views that quickly highlight metallic and organic threats and contraband, such as weapons, stowaways, explosives, drugs, and alcohol.
The Z Portal system is as efficient as it is thorough: This high-throughput screening gateway can scan 250 trucks every hour, which makes it ideally suited for high-traffic locations.
- Extremely high throughput at 250 trucks per hour
- Inspects trucks and cargo for threats with Z Backscatter and optional dual-energy transmission imaging from three sides simultaneously, highlighting both organic and metallic threats and contraband that other systems miss, such as explosives, weapons, currency, and drugs.
- Two-sided Forwardscatter® imaging provides enhanced detection of shielded organics, hidden compartments, or other large metallic threats.
- Organic discrimination with multi-view Z Backscatter technology
- Dual-sided Forwardscatter imaging displays dense regions of images
- Scan Speed: Drive through imaging at vehicle speeds of up to 20 kph
- Throughput: 250 trucks per hour
- Ideal for high-traffic locations: Compact design and profile that works well with space constraints and a high-throughput requirement
- Innovative surface-mount design eliminates the need for extensive civil works construction
- ASEInspection™ software with multiple image analysis tools
- Top-down dual-energy transmission imaging
- Integrated License Plate Reader system
- Integrated Container Code Recognition system
- Integrated Under Vehicle Inspection system
- Radiation Portal Monitor
- Operator Alert Image Analysis Tools
- ASE Connect™ Networking
- Sentry® Portal Co-Location
AS&E's Z Portal system uses innovative Z Backscatter technology, which ensures that the system's low radiation dose is safe for operators, drivers, and the environment. In fact, one scan is equivalent to flying one minute at altitude on an airplane. The Z Portal system meets the manufacturer’s requirements of ANSI N43.17-2009 Radiation Safety for Personnel Security Screening Systems Using X-Ray or Gamma Radiation, which is the standard that the Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) references for systems such as Z Portal.
The Z Portal system's low radiation dosage is safe for operators, drivers, and the environment and falls well within standards set by The International Council on Radiation Protection (ICRP), National Council on Radiation Protection (NCRP) and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). The dose from the Z Portal system is less than 0.05 microSievert per scan (5 microRem per scan).
It is important to keep in mind that all of us are exposed to ionizing radiation — from sources such as the sun's rays — every single day of our lives. To put this into perspective, 0.05 microSievert is equivalent to:
- The radiation a person receives from flying in an airplane for about one minute at 30,000 feet (due to the increased exposure from cosmic rays).
- One percent (1%) of the radiation dose received by the average person on any day of the year.
The Z Portal system is equipped with numerous safety mechanisms. It is fully interlocked for X-ray safety; any malfunction that could cause an unexpected increase in exposure to the scanned vehicle is interlocked to prevent X-ray generation. The speed of vehicles driving through the Z Portal system is electronically monitored and X-rays are immediately shut off if the speed falls below the required threshold. The Z Portal system also incorporates redundant safety controls, such as emergency shutoff pushbuttons, at several locations on the systems.
Additionally, the personnel assigned to operate the Z Portal systems are specifically trained for safe X-ray system operations.
AS&E is dedicated to providing the best service and training for all of our inspection systems. AS&E’s service organization has multiple facilities and spare parts depots located throughout the world. Our field service team includes program managers, more than fifty highly trained field service engineers, and dedicated expert trainers who understand the unique requirements of our customers. AS&E’s Z Portal® maintenance and support services are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. Z Portal® training services feature interactive, hands-on, skill-based training, as well as classroom instruction. Learn more