Because security threats can come from anywhere, your screening system should be able to go anywhere.
The Z Backscatter® Van ("ZBV") is the most maneuverable, versatile, and successful cargo and vehicle screening system on the market. Featuring Z Backscatter technology—pioneered and perfected by AS&E—the ZBV system can quickly reach places other systems can’t go, and scan objects other systems can’t inspect.
Its photo-like imaging quickly and clearly reveals threats like explosives, drugs, currency, and trade-fraud items such as alcohol and cigarettes—even in high-throughput environments like border crossings and security checkpoints. The ZBV system gives your team:
- The ability to investigate targets that could not be scanned before
- Maximum flexibility, maneuverability, and ease of use
- Photo-like imaging of vehicles and cargo for rapid analysis
- A system proven to be effective and reliable—even in harsh environments
- The lowest cost of ownership for a mobile screening system
AS&E is dedicated to providing the best service and training for all of our inspection systems. AS&E’s service organization has multiple facilities and spare parts depots located throughout the world. Our field service team includes program managers, more than fifty highly trained field service engineers, and dedicated expert trainers who understand the unique requirements of our customers. AS&E’s ZBV® and Z Backscatter™ Van maintenance and support services are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. ZBV and Z Backscatter Van training services feature interactive, hands-on, skill-based training, as well as classroom instruction. Learn More
- Proven, reliable system in the toughest environments (hot, cold, sand, war zone) with greater than 95% operational availability.
- Fully mobile, small footprint, self-contained, and operational within minutes of arrival on site.
- Provides complete field of view of vehicles of all heights, including the tires
- Scan Speeds: up to 10 km/h (6 mph)
Available in three configurations to meet your real-world requirements:
- ZBV C-Class: The original ZBV system built with a custom coach on a Mercedes-Benz® Sprinter cab chassis.
- ZBV R-Class: Built for rugged terrain, the Ford® F550 chassis offers 4WD, additional ground clearance, and a crew cab for extra space.
- ZBV S-Class: The newest addition to the ZBV line is built on a standard Mercedes-Benz Sprinter panel van for a contemporary appearance. Its reduced operational footprint is ideal for scanning objects in the tightest confines.
Mercedes-Benz is a registered trademark of Daimler AG. Ford is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.
The ZBV system developed by AS&E uses innovative Z Backscatter technology, which ensures a low radiation dose that is safe for operators, cargo, and the environment.
All companies that produce non-medical X-ray screening systems need to comply with the appropriate American National Standard Institute (ANSI) safety standards. The ZBV system fully complies with the applicable standards, including rigid adherence to the radiation dose limits prescribed in these standards.
Dose to Cargo: Less than 0.1 microSievert (μSv) per scan (equivalent to 10 microRem (μrem)), at an average speed of 5 km/h (3 mph) at a scan distance of 1.5 m (5 ft). Should a stowaway accidentally be scanned, the effective dose is well below the ANSI specified limit for accidental exposure and is equivalent to flying two minutes at altitude.
The ZBV system’s primary purpose is to screen vehicles and containers for contraband and security threats. If a person, such as an illegal stowaway, is present in the vehicle or container being scanned, the system creates only a silhouette with no facial or body detail. The system cannot be used to identify an individual, or their race or age.
AS&E’s customers use the ZBV system within their security and enforcement protocols and under the same national and local laws that govern their overall missions.